The learning and development industry has seen huge changes in the last few years thanks to trends like Big Data. Big Data allows training managers to identify behaviors based on learning styles and use them to personalize the learning experience.
That’s where adaptive learning comes in. If you want to know more about adaptive learning and the advantages of incorporating it into your training plan, keep reading.
What is adaptive learning?
Adaptive learning is a training method that focuses on the individual needs and preferences of each student to boost the results of their training.
This model utilizes data generated from a student’s interaction with their learning platform to provide personalized training plans designed with their needs in mind.
The characteristics of adaptive learning
Below are some of the conditions a learning program must meet in order to be considered adaptive:
- It must focus on relevant content, favoring practical aspects over theoretical ones to provide content that directly applies to an employee’s daily tasks.
- It should address each student individually based on their unique needs and preferences.
- It should feature interactive resources and activities that promote active learning.
To make adaptive learning truly effective, it is essential to measure it and identify areas for improvement. This requires e-learning platforms that provide data on employee interests, activities, and progress.
Advantages of adaptive learning
Adaptive learning enhances the training experience by making it more relevant to employees, but its benefits don’t end there. Adaptive learning can also:
1. Increase employee engagement
By providing content that truly matters to them, employees are more motivated to participate in training and retain the knowledge provided. After all, everyone enjoys learning in a way that considers their individual needs.
2. Enhance productivity
Employees only really need to learn what is relevant to their daily tasks and professional development. By focusing on relevant content, employees are given more autonomy in the training process which has knock-on effects for productivity.
3. Improve time management
Adaptive learning allows employees to reduce the time they spend on completing a course, freeing up valuable time for other tasks.
These are just some of the benefits driving more and more companies to implement this form of learning. In fact, the adoption rate of adaptive learning is expected to grow by 22% by 2028.
How to implement adaptive learning in your company?
1. Conduct a situational analysis
Before putting an adaptive learning plan into motion, it’s important to evaluate the current skills and competencies of your employees and identify areas for improvement.
2. Choose an adaptive learning approach
With your analysis done, it’s time to choose the adaptive learning model based on the type of training you want to implement:
- Macro adaptive learning: Personalizes the same content in a different order, allowing students to skip modules. It adapts to individual needs in real-time, making it ideal for extensive courses.
- Micro adaptive learning: Highly advanced personalization, adapts both the course and content to each student’s cognitive profile. It focuses on teaching specific skills quickly and effectively, utilizing neuroscience for a highly personalized learning experience.
3. Decide on an implementation model
Next, consider these learning models to apply to your adaptive learning:
- Empowerment model: Empowers students/employees to take control of their learning. Create itineraries where each professional can design their learning path and access the content that interests them most.
- Pathways model: Assigns specific learning routes or paths based on the needs of individual students or groups. These paths are part of a broader learning journey.
- Differentiation model: Tailors course content according to employee commitment, motivation, prior knowledge, or values. An initial assessment which measures the previous knowledge and skills of your employees is essential for this model.
4. Select a platform and implement adaptive learning
You also need to choose a platform for delivering your adaptive learning program. Today’s online training platforms go far beyond traditional Learning Management Systems (LMS). Now they offer more modern and intuitive interfaces that mimic the user experience of streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime, or HBO, presenting information in a much more dynamic way.
In addition, thanks to their machine-learning and artificial intelligence features, they provide access to your training content based on the needs and interests of your users. Want to know more? Discover isEazy LMS and create a unique learning experience for your employees.