Supervising employees is an essential function for any team leader aiming to ensure results. But is it done correctly? Is it carried out with the necessary frequency and intensity? Is there ongoing monitoring of this supervision?
Knowing how to manage a workteam is crucial within a company because it directly affects business outcomes and the professional development of staff. In this article, we’ll provide you with the key points to do so effectively.
Importance of effective supervision
When people on a team receive good supervision and leadership, companies can expect to see the following advantages:
- Strengthened teamwork.
- Increased efficiency and productivity.
- Professional and personal employee development.
- Boosted motivation and sense of belonging.
- Early identification of issues.
With these in mind, understanding how to manage a team ensures that their objectives and goals align with those of the company, enabling a meaningful contribution to overall success on both sides.
Steps to supervising a team
Logically, an employeewho experiences difficulties in the execution of atask should not be supervised in the same way as another who doesn’t. Nor should a person who has demonstrated their commitment, knowledge and results be supervised in the same way as another who, with the same experience or seniority in the company, fails to achieve the desirable standard. Despite this, many team leaders are unsure of the different approaches needed to perform proper supervision.
The consequences of not supervising correctly impact both the results and the motivation of employees as well as their development. To avoid this, we recommend the following steps.
- Adjust the level of supervision based on the experience and results demonstrated by the employee.
- Be consistent with monitoring deadlines (do not organize unexpected checkins).
- If possible, review the work and results of the employee before talking to them.
- Ask first, so that the employee has the chance to contribute their point of view.
- Inquire about difficulties.
- Confirm if the line of work, quality and deadlines are correct. If they are, congratulate them for the work and thank them for the effort. If they are not, remember objectives and deadlines, suggest measures and agree on an action plan. Finally, encourage themand thank them for their efforts.
- Give employees some breathing space without overbearing them.
- Maintain a consistent supervisory approach to prevent feedback being disregarded.
Keys to successfully supervising a team
Effective supervision of a team demands well-defined strategies that enhance group performance and productivity. Here are fundamental keys to achieving this:
1. Setting clear goals and objectives for the team
The first recommendation is to establish goals and objectives so that the team has a well-defined purpose. To do this, these goals must be specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and established within a defined time frame.
Clear objectives also serve as a benchmark for evaluating the team’s progress and making necessary adjustments.
2. Effective communication in team supervision
It is also essential that communication between team members and their superiors is effective. Generating channels of conversation and fostering an environment of trust is important to be able to supervise a team successfully.
3. Delegate tasks and assign responsibilities
Supervising a team is not just about leading and ensuring that everything is going well. It is also about knowing how to delegate tasks and distribute responsibilities appropriately. That’s why it’s important to recognize the skills and strengths of team members so you can assign them the right roles. This not only eases the leader’s workload, but also empowers workers.
4. Monitoring of team performance
Performing monitoring tasks is key to supervising a successful team. This involves carrying out regular evaluations of individual and group performance. To do this, you have to use key metrics, performance indicators or KPIs, which allow you to measure progress towards objectives and identify opportunities for improvement.
5. Enhance team development
Team development is pivotal for business success, with an effective leader inspiring and guiding member toward shared goals. To achieve successful supervision, it’s essential to enhance the team’s skills as well as the leadership skills of the person in charge.
How can you achieve this in your company? With isEazy Skills, you can take team talent to the next level with a catalog of more than 250 courses in soft and digital skills. With interactive courses and multi-deviceaccess, learning becomes flexible and engaging, allowing professionals to acquire relevant and updated knowledge for today’s professional market. Boost the development of your team and ensure their success with isEazy Skills.